I have had the pleasure of working with adults and children with a variety of diagnoses, including depression and other mood disorders, anxiety disorders, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance use/addiction, and people on the autism spectrum. I enjoy working with gender dysphoria and with those that are gender non-conforming, as well as those identifying as LGBTQI. I understand that individuals do not always fit perfectly into a specific diagnosis and we should allow for personalized variation among people with careful consideration.
I sincerely appreciate the bravery of individuals that initiate help for themselves or a loved one, often in their most vulnerable moments. I believe each patient is the expert on themselves and their family. I strive to implement a collaborative approach between the individual, myself, and others that play a significant role in that person’s life which may include family members/caregivers, teachers, and/or therapists.
I support incorporating medication management and psychotherapy, depending on a person’s individual needs and goals. I have experience in cognitive behavioral models of therapy, collaborative problem solving, motivational interviewing, and psychodynamic applications. I am also skilled in family therapy, parenting strategies and other supportive therapies. The addition of medication should always be a thoughtful decision that considers the risks and benefits in each unique case.
I value working with patients and their families. I believe mental health is of utmost importance in living a fulfilling and meaningful life. I have had the opportunity to travel across the country and outside of the country for my education and training, and I am happy to have settled with my family in beautiful North Carolina.
- Duke University (Durham, NC) – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship
- Loyola University Medical Center (Maywood, IL) – Adult Psychiatry Residency
- St. George’s University School of Medicine (Grenada, West Indies) – M.D.
- University of Colorado (Boulder, CO) – B.A. in Biology and Psychology, certificate specialization in neuroscience
Professional Societies and Licenses:
- American Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists: 2010 – present
- American Psychiatric Association: 2012 – present
- North Carolina Psychiatric Association: 2015 – present