I am a board certified adult psychiatrist, fluent in both English and Spanish. I treat adult patients with mental health, behavioral and substance abuse disorders.
I completed my residency training at East Carolina University. Since then I have worked with adults with a wide variety of mental health and substance abuse conditions. I have served patients from North Carolina in many different settings: community mental health clinics in Wilson and Rocky Mount, telepsychiatric services to Ocracoke Island, Attending Physician at Vidant Medical Center, Central Regional Hospital, and Alamance Regional Medical Center. I also held positions at East Carolina University as an Assistant Professor and at Alamance Regional Medical Center as a Chair of the Department of Psychiatry.
Education and training of other clinicians has been an important part of my career. I have been involved with the teaching and supervision of medical students from East Carolina University and University of North Carolina, psychiatric residents from East Carolina University and training of physician assistants from Elon University.
My aim in treatment is to help you identify areas of strength and provide you with tools necessary to overcome obstacles caused by negative emotional states. Empowering you to make informed decisions about your care, meaningful lifestyle changes, and increase in self-promoted healthy behavior. We will partner together to create an individualized treatment plan to meet your goals. My treatment approach includes psychoeducation, psychopharmacology, and supportive psychotherapy. Treatment also includes collaboration with other clinicians, and communication with families.
- Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) – Psychiatry Residency
- Casa Costarricense del Seguro Social (Costa Rica) – Internship
- Universidad de Ciencias Medicas de Centroamerica (Costa Rica) – MD
- Greenbrook NeuroHealth (Chapel Hill, NC) – Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Consultant: 2018-present
- Alamance Regional Medical Center (Greensboro, NC) – Attending Psychiatrist: 2015-18
- Central Regional Hospital (Butner, NC) – Attending Psychiatrist: 2013-14
- Brody School of Medicine (Greenville, NC) – Clinical Assistant Professor: 2009-14
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND LICENSES:
- North Carolina Psychiatric Association: 2007- present
- American Psychiatric Association: 2007- present
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: 2012- present
- North Carolina State Medical License: 2008- present
- Florida State Medical License: 2013-present
- Costa Rica Medical License: 2003-present
- Buprenorphine Waiver: 2018-present
- Brainsway Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Certification: 2018-present
- NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Certification: 2018-present
TEACHING / VOLUNTEERING:
- University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC) – preceptor for medical students: 2016-17
- Elon University (Elon, NC) – preceptor for physician assistant students: 2015-17
- Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) – preceptor for medical students: 2009-14; supervisor for psychiatry residents: 2009-14
- Care Community at Blackerton (Devon, UK) – volunteer: 1999-2000
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Anxiety Disorders. Speaker for Insights in Mental Health : an educational series offered at ARMC Education Center (Burlington NC): 2017
- “Psychotic and Personality Disorders in the DSM-5”. Speaker for Eastern Area Health Education Center Conference, (Greenville, NC): 2013
- “Somatic treatments used in psychiatry during the first half of the 20th century”. Speaker for East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Grand Rounds, (Greenville, NC): 2011
- “Treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder”. Speaker for Eastern Area Health Education Center Conference (Greenville, NC): 2009
- “Importance and recollection of journal club and seminar readings in residency training”. Poster presentation at NCPA Annual Meeting, (New Bern, NC): 2009
- “Paraphilias: when pleasure goes too far”. Speaker for East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Grand Rounds (Greenville, NC): 2009